|
His second attempt, 9 by 6 feet, was built later the same year. It stood until 1923, when it was visited by the Bishop of Portsmouth. The bishop could not fit through the narrow door, so Brother Déodat tore down this edifice as well.
His third attempt, relatively cavernous at 16 feet by 9 feet, was started soon after, but Brother Déodat went to France and died there before it could be finished. The chapel was, and is, decorated with pebbles, seashells and countless bits of colorful broken china donated by the islanders.
|